Hello Catherine,
you can use disk utility to create a mountable disk image which you can set up
as encrypted via a password. You can then move secret files onto this disk
image and when finished eject the disk image. When you next open the disk image
you enter the password which you defined when you created the disk image. When
the disk image is not mounted its contents are invisible.

To open the disk utility press Command+Shift+A in finder to open the list of
applications. Locate the utilities folder and therein you will see the disk
utility. Open that program and look for new in the file menu. Use that to
create a new disk image with the desired level of encryption. This disk image
will have the file extension DMG and as far as finder is concerned is just
another file. When you subsequently open the DMG file you will be prompted for
the password which you specified when you originally created the disk image. If
you then press Shift+Command+C in finder you will see the disk image which now
looks like an external disk. YOu open that and can then see all your secret
files. The disk image is just like a regular disk so you can organise your
secret files into folders.

I hope the above will get you started. If necessary get back to me and I can
send you detailed step by step instructions.

I use this technology to store lots of confidential files containing back
account and credit card information and it all works fine.

Good luck....

Paul Hopewell