Hi David,

It sounds more as though a reset of your phone would have taken care of the
problem.  This occasionally also works when people lose VoiceOver for obscure
reasons, and I should have thought of this.  You hold down the Home and power
button together for about 15 seconds (longer than you would to just shut down
the iPhone), until the Apple logo appears on the screen (if someone sighted is
around).  This has also fixed some people's battery standby problems.

You may have also reset things with the power down sequence.

Problems with a bad voltage sensor are pretty rare unless there's an obvious
source of problems -- like dropping the iPhone into water.  Even then, it often
survives.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther