Hello Peter,

I'm not really sure why you can't get out of the VoiceOver Quick Start by
pressing the escape key.  What happens if you press Control+Option+H, where the
Control and Option keys are the second and third keys from the left in the
bottom row of keys on your Macbook Pro keyboard?  Do you get access to the
VoiceOver Help menu?  You should be able to use your arrow keys to move down
through menu options and press the enter key to view these options.  If you
arrow up and down, using the arrow keys at the bottom right corner of your
keyboard that are in an "inverted T" shape (half-height left, down, and right
arrows in the bottom row, with the up arrow just above the down arrow), you
should hear VoiceOver announce items like "Online Help", "Commands Help",
"Keyboard Help", "Sounds Help", "Quick Start Help", and "Getting Started
Guide".  Pressing either enter (technically, the "return" key) or
Control+Option+space bar should activate that menu selection.  In the case of
moving to an
 other help menu, in addition to using your up and down arrow keys to move
through options, you can press your left arrow key to move back up a level, and
you can press the escape key to leave the VoiceOver help menu.

The VoiceOver Getting Started Guide is available as an HTML guide that you can
read from other browsers, independently of your Mac. Here's the HTML link for
the guide for Mountain Lion (in English):
http://help.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/10.8/English.lproj/index.html

If you want an RTF version of the VoiceOver Getting Started guide, check John
Panarese's MacfortheBlind web page for documents:
http://macfortheblind.com/documentation
Under the "Manuals and User Guides" headings there's an RTF version of the
guide for Lion, and for Mountain Lion.

HTH, and welcome to your new Macbook Pro and this list.

Cheers,

Esther