Hi Ian and Others,

Ian asked about sorting by columns in iTunes, and I thought I'd expand on my
answer that mentioned that in order to use the VoiceOver shortcut of
VO-Shift-backslash (on an English language input keyboard) to sort on any
column in a table, whether it is in iTunes or in some other application such as
Finder, Safari's bookmarks table, Mail, etc. that you have to interact with
that table.  I also thought I would expand on my explanation that when you move
to a table by tabbing with VoiceOver, you will automatically interact.

The behavior of your tab key is set under "System Preferences" in "Keyboard"
under the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.  If you navigate past the tables of
keyboard shortcuts in that window, there are two radio buttons following the
text: "Full Keyboard Access: In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move keyboard
focus between:"  You can either select the radio button for "Text boxes and
lists only" or "All controls".  Generally, people select "All controls", which
lets you move through all controls in a window each time you press the tab key,
either moving to the next control when you press tab, or to the previous
control when your press Shift-tab.  However, there are instances where it is
very convenient to be able to tab only between text boxes and lists for
navigation, especially because of the automatic interaction when using tabbing.
 Below the two radio button options is a note: "Press Control+F7 to change this
setting."  Pressing Control+F7 will toggle your radio button select
 ion between moving through all controls when you press tab, and just moving
between text boxes and lists, as well as execute the actual tab movement.  You
will not hear any announcement of this change, which will occur without your
having to navigate to this system preference pane.  The only way you'll be able
to tell this has taken effect is by trying to tab, or alternatively you can
navigate back to the Keyboard Shortcuts tab and check which radio button is now
set.  This also means that if you issue an even number of Control+F7 commands,
you will be toggling between the two radio buttons and be left in the original
setting, and if you issue an odd number of Control+F7 commands, you will be
left in a different radio button setting.

I usually answer list questions about iTunes, but because I have resisted
upgrading to iTunes 11, I can't give reliable step by step directions unless I
visit an Apple Store and check out instructions on another computer.  However,
I'll try to give an answer here, based on the assumption that people have
configured their iTunes 11 into something that approximates the "Classic" view
of iTunes that was used in earlier versions. The steps for changing to this
from the default iTunes 11 settings are described in the TUAW article on
"iTunes 11 for old fogies: goin' back to the way it was" by Erica Sadun:
http://aol.it/ShCsm3

1. Press Command-Option-S to restore the Sidebar in iTunes
2. Select the "Songs" radio button
3. Press Command-slash to restore the status bar

Once you are in the traditional list view after selecting "Songs", you can sort
by any column you like. Typically, I tab to the tables I want to navigate to.
One way to do this without changing your tabbing behavior is to use
Command-Option-F to move to the search text field, and then press tab to move
to the sources table, where you can move to any selected library (Music, Apps,
Books, etc.) either with your arrow keys or by simply typing the first few
letters of the library you want. Then simply tab (or, if you prefer, use VO-J,
which will jump between linked tables, and will also preserve the automatic
interaction) to view the detailed listing of music or other tracks.  To sort by
the "Date Added" column, just move to this column (e.g., with Right arrow or
VO-Right arrow keys), and then use VO-Shift-backslash to sort (assuming you are
using an English language input keyboard).  To reverse the sort order, do
another VO-Shift-backslash.

This answer provides a solution that does what Ian wants (e.g., sorting on his
music by date added without having to click a mouse on the column headers), and
also provides a keyboard shortcut that always moves you to a known location in
iTunes (Command-Option-F to move to the search text field), without changing
any of your default settings.  But there's a more powerful way to use tabbing
for navigation, if you take advantage of it.

In many instances, when I am working with apps that have table list views, I
only want to navigate between text boxes and lists most of the time.  For
example, in the case of iTunes, I usually want to press the tab key to cycle
between the search text field, my list of sources (libraries, devices,
playlists, etc.) and the list of tracks corresponding to my source selections.
If I want to navigate to any other controls I can use my arrow keys (or
VO+arrow keys).  The place where tabbing really comes in helpful for me is when
I toggle on the iTunes Column Browser with Command-B.  You configure the items
that you want to be shown in the column browser when it is visible by
navigating to the "View" menu on the iTunes menu bar (Control-F2 or VO-M to
move to the menu bar, press "V" to move to the "View" menu, arrow down, then
VO-Down arrow to "Column Browser" and VO-Space, then VO-Down arrow to any of
the entries you want selected for the column browser and VO-Space to select them
 , one by one.  I have my column browser set to show genres, artists, and
albums, and to be displayed on top, and also to group compilations and use
album artists, but you can set this any way you like.

The reason the column browser is powerful is that it allows you to search and
locate items by any of your selected categories of Artist, Album titles, etc.
as well as using this in combination with anything you type in the search text
field. And if I set my tabbing to move between just text boxes and lists, I can
quickly move between any of the column browser fields (when toggled on), the
sources list, and the table of resulting items (that gets filtered down as soon
as I apply column browser settings, by selecting a particular Artist or one or
more albums from the list of that Artist's albums). Entries typed into the
search text field alone apply to any of the fields that are viewed under iTunes
-- there's no way to distinguish between a song that happens to also be the
title of an album, and a specific song in a particular album.

This type of navigation efficiency by only moving between lists and text boxes
can work in a number of other apps, such as navigating your bookmarks in the
show all bookmarks view of Safari (really best done with everything else like
tab bars, bookmarks bar, status bar, toolbar, etc. hidden) or in Mail, since
you can quickly move to the areas of interest, and you also get the automatic
interaction that comes with using the tab key to navigate.

I didn't realize that Ian was a low vision user, but he must be, if he can see
the column headings in iTunes to move his mouse there and click.  I use
VoiceOver shortcut keys to sort all my columns.

HTH.  Cheers,