Hi Brian,
I nearly always put my iMac to sleep rather than shut it down. I do this
because it is then much quicker to startup the next day. I just have to enter
my password to startup. the disadvantage of sleep mode is that the computer
does consume a small amount of power while asleep.

Maverick is the next release of Mac OS due in the Fall (November?). If Apple
follows its usual practice you should be able to upgrade from Mountain Lion to
Maverick via the App store for a modest cost - I recall that it was about 29
dollars to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion.

Paul Hopewell