Hello,
This problem was caused by Mac HD containing an empty folder called Backup.
This folder had been there for some time and I have no idea how it got there.
However deleting this folder fixed the problem. Maverick is now successfully
installed!!

I must say that the Maverick install was pretty nerve racking. After the first
restart my iMac took almost one hour to do the install with no voice feedback.
I had to keep listening to the hard disk to ensure that the iMac was doing
something. The second restart was a real relief!

Best regards....

Paul Hopewell