I happen to agree with this.  An FX processor, no matter how good, will never
accurately emulate the sound of a human voice even assuming you can get the
pitch changes spot on.  Dane’s Yamaha unit may not even be an FX processor, I
don’t know.  I too have an FX processor but it can only do so much.  Actually,
Sarah did hit the nail on the head when she spoke about the different chords
or, to use the proper term, “Intervals”  You see, I too have some musical
training and background.

But what has come out of this is actually a very positive discussion.  So let’s
not start taking things personally or making noises regarding what others
write.  This is merely a discussion which I started because I wanted to see
whether anybody could come up with a technological solution.  I know how this
used to be done in the good old days of analogue.  But now we’re all digital
and I was kind of hoping there might be a short cut.  Seems like there is not a
short cut.  So we’ll have to do this the good old fashioned way.  The skill
here, apart from hitting the correct intervals to create effective harmonies is
to produce vocals with the same inflections on the same beat of each note.
It’s going to sound pretty horrendous if, for instance, an “N” sound were to be
elongated on one track and not on the accompanying track.  That was always the
skill of the musician in the good old days of analogue.  I have done a little
work in a studio environment.  True, that was only a 16-track studio and not
the 64-track recording studio type of setup.  But all the same, when you listen
to a band like, for example, Queen sing, or a musician sing in harmony with
another musician, they always hit the same inflections.  This is taking us way
off topic.  Bit it sounds to me as though the only solution to this problem
which is available to me is going to be doing it the hard way.

Again, ProTools is out of my price range just at the moment.  Although perhaps
some may snub them, there are other tools which can be used to produce similar
results.  Possibly not as seamlessly, but I’m sure it can be done.

Kind regards

<--- Gordon Smith --->

<gor...@mac-access.net>

Information Technology Accessibility Consultant;
Providing Help & Support To Young People With Visual Impairment, plus Braille
Transcription services.

On 29 Oct 2013, at 21:41, Christopher-Mark Gilland <ch...@clgproductions.com>