Hello Ian,

I would separate out music videos by creating a smart playlist, and then check
that playlist as one of the ones that you want to sync, or else drag and drop
to your iPad. Music videos are stored in your music library, and I don't know a
way to create a separate source library category for them.

I'll assume you have iTunes 11 configured with the sidebar showing
(Command+Option+S to toggle this between hide and show), and that you are in
the classic list view mode (by selecting the "Songs" radio button) so you can
view tracks, sort on columns, etc.  Also, if you want the summary information
on number of playlist items and total playing time, you can toggle the status
bar back on to be showing (Command+Slash) -- not necessary if you don't care
about  knowing this information.

Your smart playlist will use a rule to select out all your music videos.
1. Command+Option+N to create a new smart playlist
2. In the dialogue window, navigate to the rules section and interact. 3. On
the first pop up button, VO+Space (or double tap, if using the TrackPad) and
change this from "Artist" to "Media Kind" by pressing "M" or by using your up
and down arrow keys to navigate to this option, and then selecting it either by
pressing "Return" or using another VO+Space, or double tapping if you're using
the TrackPad.
4. Navigate past the "is" pop up button to the "Music" pop up button and
VO+Space, then arrow down to "Music Video" and select this either with "Return"
or VO+Space.
5. You're done, unless you want to add additional rules or limit the smart
playlist contents in terms of number of items or total time. Stop interacting
with the rules section and navigate to the "OK" button and select it.   If you
read from the start of the window before committing your changes, you'll hear
"Match the following rule. Media Kind is Music Video". You can also press the
Escape key to cancel and press the "Return" key to commit your changes at any
time, so in dialogue windows that I'm familiar with, I just press "Return"
instead of navigating to the "OK" button.

By default, Smart Playlists have live updating checked, so the same smart
playlist should include any new music videos that you add to your iTunes
library.  However, you might also want to make a regular playlist out of your
Smart Playlist tracks.  This can be useful when you want to select tracks by
rules to make up a playlist, but where you want this as a permanent record that
doesn't change.  For example, if I made a smart playlist to contain all the
tracks by a given artist that were added to my iTunes library in the laand
onto, and I didn't want the selections to disappear a month after they were
added, I'd select all the tracks in my smart playlist, and create a new regular
playlist.  For example, from the smart playlist in the sources table, VO+J to
the table of tracks, use Command+A to select all, then create a new playlist
from your selection with Command+Shift+N.  You can also sort on any of the
columns in either your smart playlist or your regular playlist.

I'm still not updated to iTunes 11, since there are are some bugs that Apple
has not fixed regarding audiobooks chapter navigation and bookmarking that show
up as major problems in iOS 7 (which requires the use of iTunes 11).
Basically, chapters are no longer recognized, and you have to scrub through the
entire book if you lose your position. Also, I dislike the fact that the iTunes
power search feature has disappeared.  Even though there are workarounds like
using the Safari link (from your computer, only) for the general search:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch
or individual category searches like
• Music: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?mt=1
• Podcasts:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?mt=2
• TV shows:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?mt=4
• Movies: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?mt=6
• Apps: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?mt=8
• Books:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?media=ebook
• iTunes U:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearch?institutionTerm=&media=iTunesU

The fact that we have to use workarounds from five years ago, when the iTunes
Store was not fully accessible to get back this functionality is just weird.

Anyway, although I usually answer iTunes questions, I have to check the
instructions by trying iTunes on a computer in an Apple Store to be sure these
are correct, since most people want step by step instructions.  (I hope the
instructions for creating a new playlist from a smart playlist are still true,
since I didn't try that bit in the Apple Store.)

Another tip for new iTunes users that I think still works, assuming they've
followed the steps in the second paragraph to show the sidebar and go back to
the classic list view of previous iTunes versions: if you get lost in
navigation, press Command+Option+f to navigate to the search field, then tab to
move to the sources table, etc.  This should work from wherever you are in
iTunes.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther