That's sure weird indeed. I use pop if that helps. I also have an iCloud account. I checked this and there was nothing in there.

E-mail Facebook and iMessage
christopher...@gmail.com

On 08/11/2013 18:09, Zachary Kline wrote:
Chris,
It is possible that Gmail weirdness is at fault. Gmail is somewhat notorious
for a non-standard mail server implementation. In other words, just because
Mail says you have an unread message doesn’t mean you do.
Best,
Zack.