Hello, Dane, Glenn, Anne, and Others,

If you are using these OCR apps freehand, then the results will depend of how
well you have mastered holding the iPhone flat and aligned with the page.  Most
totally blind users will probably get better results from Prizmo in that
circumstance.  You can train yourself to use these OCR apps freehand with a
good deal of practice.  Using a support platform like the StandScan Pro, that
difference goes away, although I think Prizmo is still slightly more tolerant
of pages that are not perfectly aligned.

Both Prizmo and TextGrabber offer translation options (but only at the Google
Translate level).   TextGrabber is slightly more optimized for the
multi-language environment in terms of its support.  Not only will TextGrabber
OCR up to 3 different languages on the same page as Anne described, but its
native support for OCR of non-European languages is better.  (I know we have
some Russian speakers on list; you'll get better OCR results from TextGrabber
all other things being equal.) In TextGrabber you can keep separate track of
the original OCR and translated text.

For English only use, these are still two of the best OCR apps in App Store
(irrespective of the their VoiceOver support).  Prizmo may do better at
screening out images mixed in with text.  They use different OCR engines, so
there are occasions where one or the other may work better on straight text.

One really useful feature of Prizmo is the ability to OCR from PDF documents,
not just jpeg images from the camera roll.  For Ian, or anyone expecting to
receive scanned PDF handouts while in university, for example, Prizmo will
directly OCR the results from this format. This doesn't require your iOS device
to even have a camera, as long as the device that scanned or took a picture of
the PDF document had good resolution.  And if someone sighted either scanned
the document on a copier, or generated the PDF in image format, it was probably
aligned.  Prizmo will handle that as a multi-page document.

Both TextGrabber and Prizmo are apps worth having.

Cheers,

Esther