Hi Dónal,

Yes, TextExpander for the Mac is accessible, as Matthew stated. Here's a link
to an AppleVis  podcast demoing some of its features:
• TextExpander for Mac: Type Short Abbreviations to Enter Text Snippets,
Automatically Correct Misspelled Words, and More
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/textexpander-mac-type-short-abbreviations-enter-text-snippets-automatically-correct
If that link wraps, here's a shortened version:
http://bit.ly/115xfRs

By the way, your 50% off sale link is short of the full coupon code.  You can
either use the link you gave, which will get you to the Smile website store,
and then type in the coupon code of "TE2013BFF" (without the quotation marks)
at check out to get the discount, or use the full link which has three extra
characters (the "BFF") at the end.  Their promotional email says that the
discount is valid through Monday, December 2, 2013, and that you ca use the
link:
http://sites.fastspring.com/smile/product/te?coupon=TE2013BFF
or else use the coupon code TE2013BFF at their website.

I was also able to use Typinator, which is another text expansion app for the
Mac that I got as part of an old MacUpdate bundle. These apps are all text
based, so I expect them to be accessible. One advantage TextExpander has over
these other text expansion apps is that it has an iOS counterpart, TextExpander
Touch, which you can use to sync your expansion definitions to between Mac and
iPhone, for example.  And early on, having text expansion on the iPhone made a
big difference, especially typing accented words with just the on-screen
keyboard. The devs were the first to have the clever idea of releasing their
SDK for free, so other note editing apps, Twitter apps for iOS, etc. could
build in TextExpander support and have this work, despite the policy of app
sandboxing.

I originally recommended TextExpander to another Mac VoiceOver user back in
Fall 2009.  He wanted a boilerplate template to fill in student reports,
without having to retype certain stock paragraphs.  You can do a lot more with
TextExpander, especially for programming.

Life Hacker has a couple of interesting recent articles on "The Best Clever
Uses for Text Expansion":
http://lifehacker.com/the-best-clever-uses-for-text-expansion-1429848608
and "The Best Text Expansion App for Mac":
http://lifehacker.com/5843903/the-best-text-expansion-app-for-mac
You'll want to use Safari Reader (Command-Shift-R on the Mac) to read those
pages.

The quick summary is that they liked a $5 app called aText for the Mac that
doesn't do as much as Text Expander, but is cheaper than the $35 list price of
TE;  however, this didn't take into account Text Expander's recent addition of
the capability to design and fill in forms with TextExpander.  I've tried this
on the iPhone, and it works, but is unstable in the apps I used it with.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther