Hi all,

I went to upgrade my iPhone 4S from (I guess) ios6 to ios7.0.4 on Wednesday
evening this week.  I'd seen the option there for several months but had held
back as being mostly used to Microsoft that I should hold back from the first
version of a new release.

Well, I started the upgrade via my wi-fi and after a short time the phone
restarted itself.  Or rather, it went to a screen with the apple logo on and
something like a signpost underneath.  And it sat there.  After 20 mins I tried
to shut it off which didn't work.  Had to do a hard reset with top button and
home key at the same time.  All attempts to switch the phone back on gave the
same screen which then went blank after about 20 seconds.

Basically, my phone wasn't working.

A google told me I had to restore my phone.  So I started iTunes and connected
my phone to my Windows laptop.  iTunes detected a phone that needed restoring
but Jaws couldn't locate any button I was expecting to see labelled "Restore".
My sighted wife was able to see it though and started the process.  Alas,
iTunes eventually returned with a message saying "This phone could not be
restored".

Fortunately I live in a city which has an Apple store.  I trotted off to the
shop and they were very helpful and went through the restore process.  In less
than 10 minutes my phone was up and running again and the assistant did things
like log me back into iCloud and set up my phone to back up to iCloud.
Unfortunatley, it hadn't been backing up before and all my data was lost.  This
in practice meant my contacts, and settings within apps, and the photos I had
on the phone at the time.  The assistant downloaded all my apps for me though
as there was a "download all" function.

the reason the assistant thought her restore worked was that at the shop, the
firmware was also updated and not just the ios.

I had to return another day with my old Nokia phone so they could transfer all
my contacts again.

I've spent a fairly jolly couple of days now re-organising all my apps and
running each of them and setting up various configurations and favourites.
Still some way to go on this.

I don't use my iPhone for music so had never plugged it into iTunes other than
once or twice just to see what it all looked like.  iTunes is a pretty tricky
app with Jaws.  But I had no idea it was a tool to use to help backup my phone.

I need to learn more about backing up I think.

The assistant at the Apple store said the most likely reason for my problem was
that a bit of data went missing when I did the update via wi-fi and she always
does it when the phone is powered.  It sounds a bit of a funny reason but I
don't know enough to dispute her.

Not sure what the moral of the story is.

Best,

Chris