As far as I am aware there is no inbuilt OS level Maximisation function in
the Mac OS. This is one of areas the Mac works differently to Windows.

Having said that you can achieve the same affect often within programs. This
is often achieved using command F or command shift F.

So in Preview you will find full screen which  by pressing command F and in
VLC you can put DVDs into full screen mode by pressing command shift F.

I may have got these commands mixed up but experiment  and you will find the
one which works.
So generally in the program you are using you need to look in the View Menu
and look to see if there is a full screen option or alternatively there may
be a full screen button on the toolbar.
I believe that a similar result can also be achieved by pressing the zoom
button on toolbars in some programs but as I cannot see the screen I cannot
confirm that this is the case.

I have heard also of third party apps which provide  a minimisation function
but I have no experience of these.

In terms of minimising windows try using command M or alternatively command
H to hide a window.

David Griffith