Hi Gordon,

I don't subscribe to your techno-chat list, but after going to that list and
reading Colin's repost of Eric's old instructions for using KeyRemap4MacBook
and the PCKeyboardHack, I'll just state that they were correct at the time they
were written.  Starting with the version 8 releases of both these applications
on January 30, 2013, the information on the preferences panes were moved into
the main application.

The end of that post included the lines:
Below is the link to the new podcast. that walks through these steps.
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/new-updated-remapping-keys-your-macs-keyboard-enhance-voiceover-experience

I'm not sure whether that link will wrap, so I'll provide another shortened
version to this AppleVis page with the podcast:
http://bit.ly/1kFbyDK

Had you gone to that web page, you would have read follow-up comments that
stated that as of version 8, the changes Eric requested no longer required a
special download link, but were incorporated into the main version of the app,
and that also the app had changed its organization so that the preference pane
information was now incorporated into the applications.

Finally, I'll just state that another reason for installing KeyRemap4MacBook,
whether or not you also install the PCKeyboardHack, is that laptop and Apple
Wireless Keyboard users can also then access the full range of NumPad Commander
options, as well as having access to a full embedded keypad.

For more information, including tips on more general configuration of
KeyRemap4MacBook, see the archived post:
• NumPad on laptop Macs and KeyRemap4Macbook
https://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access%40mac-access.net/msg12382.html

Note that the post was written when configuration was done in separate
preference panes.

Gordon, there were some additional configuration tips for using
KeyRemap4MacBook under VMWare Fusion with JAWS written up at a blog site named
Flint's Geekiness.  I have the URL saved in an old post on another list, but I
can't get to that web site now.  It described further suggestions of disabling
Mac Host Shortcuts en masse under the VMWare Fusion Preferences to avoid
definition conflicts, and on a further post how to swap the Windows and Alt
keys.  I'm not a Windows user, so I didn't separately save the contents of
these posts after reading them and noting the URLs.

These were:
•"Mac Virtualization: Making the Caps Lock key work as a JAWS key in VMWare
Fusion!"
http://www.themillionweb.net/blog/?p=9
•"VMWare Fusion -- More keyboard tips":
http://www.themillionweb.net/blog/?p=17
•"Mac Virtualization: More on key remappings, and how to swap the Windows and
Alt keys!":
http://www.themillionweb.net/blog/?p=12

The first page describes what is covered by Eric's instructions, only with the
corrections for the preference pane information moved into the KeyRemap4MacBook
and PCKeyboardHack apps. The two later blog posts were additional tips for
working in the Windows VM.  The links were active July of last year.

HTH.  Cheers,
Esther