Hi Jason,

On Di, Jun 24, 2014 at 06:49:14 +1000, Jason White wrote:
>Christian Schoepplein <ch...@schoeppi.net> wrote:
>> Another solution to have a good system with good support for textbased
>> enviroments is to install a virtual machine with linux and for example
>> speakup.
>
>Yes, I have friends who have done this, but they also have other reasons to
>run virtual machines.

Yes, I also have to run Win7 in a VM for several tasks, so the better
terminal support and a good linux screenreader is not the only reason
for VMware Fusion on my Mac OS host system :-).

>> I use this aproach at the moment because of the mensioned problems with
>> VO in the terminal, it works good for me, but ofcourse it would be
>> better not to use a vm.
>
>Yes, unless you're doing it for other reasons of course. Apparently, BRLTTY
>can also be made to work in a virtual machine under OS X. Furthermore,,, you
>can run Linux directly on some Mac hardware, dual-booted with OS X or by
>completely replacing OS X with Linux. I've never tried this, but I've read
>about it.

Yes, I know of all that possebilities, but for me one reason to use Mac
OS was that it is a stable and modern system with good screen reader
support for the graphical environment, which is much better then the
support for graphic mode in linux with gnome and orca. Aditionaly I
hoped that also the terminal can be used without big problems, I'm
administrating many linux systems in my job and I have to do many tasks
via shell, but unfortunatly there are the problems we allready discussed
before :-(.

Better terminal support with VoiceOver would be great, then Mac OS would
be the perfect system for my needs...

Cheers,

  Christian

--