This sounds like the opening of a bad joke, but I am
serious. My wife's Mac is running snowleopard and she reports
that recently, she gets the spinning beach ball of death while
running various applications. Are there any logs one can look at
that are apt to be useful in figuring out whether the problem
might be due to hardware failure or software issues?

        I am more familiar with FreeBSD and Linux and know that
the log called messages or syslog on systems that have syslog is
an excellent place to start but Mac's do their logging slightly
differently so I might be missing something.
        Are there any diagnostic programs that can help you spot
possible trouble?
        Thanks for any good suggestions.

Martin McCormick