Hello Jim,

In Safari 7 under Mavericks, the Bookmark Favorites Bar is managed within the
Bookmarks editor, which can be opened from within Safari by pressing
Command+Option+B.

Once you are in the Bookmarks editor, navigate to the item helpfully labeled
simply as “Table” and interact with it. In this table you will find folders
named "Favorites Bar" and "Bookmarks Menu.” There might also be other folders
and/or individual bookmarks, depending on how your Bookmarks are organized.

I personally find this bookmark editor to be a bit clumsy to navigate with VO,
but haven’t found a better alternative.

Here are a couple of quick tips I find helpful when working in this editor:

If you want to cut & paste bookmarks and/or folders from one location to
another, use Command+X / Command+V, rather than the Finder’s keystroke combo of
Command+C / Command+Option+V, which does not seem to work here.

The VO keystroke to select multiple non-contiguous items, VO+COmmand+Return,
seems to work OK here.

If you prefer to drag & drop, using VO’s mouse down/up keystroke to drag & drop
single bookmarks or folders seems to work fine and is properly verbose as it
speaks the bookmarks/folders being passed.

HTH,
Bryan