I have the latest Mac dropbox app 2.10.74 I think, and I still use the option
mouse click to bring up the dropbox menu from the extras menu bar. It’s the
only way I know to get at that context menu. Of course, first route the mouse
to the dropbox icon, then hold down the option key and click the mouse on your
air/pro, or on an external mouse
open the preferences menu item in the drop down menu and under “account”, you
can change the default location of the dropbox folder. I’m not sure if you can
successfully use an external disc, but go ahead and experiment with some dummy
files and see what happens when you pull the plug.
under “account”, You can also use selective sync to limit the folders that
dropbox syncs onto your mac, if space is a concern. But, you’ll need sighted
assistance to click the various folders that you want to sync and uncheck those
you don’t want on your machine.

I have two macs, an iMac with a 1TB drive that I rarely use, and a mac book air
with 256gb flash. I keep the dropbox folders totally synced on the iMac, and
only some of the more critical folders synced on the air. If I want something
ported over to the air, I simply move it into my public folder on the iMac and
then copy it into the desired  folder on the air.

This is how I conserve space on my air while still having the advantages of
dropbox.
.