> Date:          Fri, 30 May 2003 13:30:20 +0300
> From:          Filipp Lepalaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On 5/30/03 12:56 PM, "Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Filipp Lepalaan wrote:
> >> Hi, I understand this might be a *windows* list question, but: Is anyone
> >> of You using a Pro keyboard with a PC? If so, has anyone managed
> >> to map the command key to the control key (it works as the windows key
> >> atm)
> > Is there anything on this page
> > http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/2329.html that may
> > help you? Nothing that seems to cover the keys you mention though.
>  Thanks! It seems there are alot of people out there with a similar
> "problem". I guess the issue is really about the fact that the
> Control key cannot be remapped at all.
> filipp

First, I'm surprised that an Apple keyboard would work on a PC at
all. I was going to suggest that loading ANSI.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS
would at least enable adjustments through the "Prompt" command in
your AUTOEXEC.BAT that you could at least use in DOS, but then I
noticed from Darren's link that it's a USB keyboard, which I don't
believe would work in DOS (or is there a USB keyboard driver for DOS?
DOS USB drivers are scarce as hen's teeth, but some are out there).

I think your only choice is to get some kind of true PC keyboard,
even if it's a cheapie. And while I hate to recommend (GACK! PTOOEY!
AGGHH!) Micro$oft for anything, I've heard good things about their
keyboard.

A GOOD classic keyboard you can find in thrift shops cheaply is the
IBM-brand keyboard, either with the conventional AT connector (you
can get a PS/2 adapter) or the PS/2 connector. They're solid
keyboards, and they're tough. If someone broke into your house, you
could brain them with the keyboard and it would still work fine. Only
limitation is that you'd have to hit <Ctrl-ESC> to access the Start
Menu, as I've not seen an IBM keyboard with a Windows key. But that
could be an advantage. After some time doing my computing on an old
486DX/100 laptop (no Windows key) and now using a minitower whose
keyboard has a Windows key, I find myself hitting the Windows key
when I mean to hit the Ctrl or Alt key for a keyboard shortcut, and
sometimes it completely messes up the keyboard. I have to use the
mouse to close everything out and reboot.

Just make sure that the IBM keyboard is an advanced (101 key)
keyboard and DOESN'T say "IBM Personal Computer" on it, with the
function keys on the left. Or any keyboard with the function keys on
the left, for that matter. With just a few rare exceptions, those are
XT-type keyboards, whose circuitry is incompatible with AT or later
keyboard inputs, tho it'll go in the plug just fine. And yes, I see
them on a regular basis in thrift shops so you do have to be aware
of their existence.

That's my 2c, FWIW.