updated the list FAQ to specifically state that our objection is to
"challenge and response" anti-spam services used to filter messages from
the list. This doesn't apply to individual off-list correspondence.

New text:

"What about anti-spam services?

"We already take the steps necessary to keep spam off our lists. Whatever
filtering you do with your email software and your email service is up to
you.

"That said, we take a dim view of anti-spam services such as Spam Arrest
and Cashette that require the sender of a message to respond to a message
from the anti-spam service (a 'challenge and response' system) before
allowing the recipient to receive the posting. Such a service
inconveniences anyone who posts to the list and is unnecessary.

"These are all closed lists, so there is no spam. Only those who have
requested a subscription and confirmed their subscription are allowed to
post. Please don't inconvenience our members by asking them to jump
through hoops to keep your mailbox spam free.

"Any subscriber using this kind of anti-spam service for list messages
will receive one warning and be temporarily blocked from posting to the
list. If the situation is not resolved quickly, the subscriber will be
banned. The burden should be on the spammers, not innocent list members.

"Note that this applies specifically to list messages, not to individual
correspondence with list members."

Dan Knight, listmom

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

Computers are like air conditioners; they don't work when you open
windows.