Hi Florian, *,

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Florian Ludwig Heckl
<flor...@florian-heckl.de> wrote:

>> The questions basically are:
>> Should OOo for Mac ship with internal python? Or should it still use
>> system-python?
>
> Does a normal "import uno" work with the thus provided python. (Users would
> still need to adapt their PATH or launch the provided python explicitly)

With internal python, it would then work with the OOo-provided python.
They would have to call OOo's python manually, as OOo wouldn't be in
their PATH, so they'd run
/path/to/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS/python and they're ready to
type "import uno"

That script sets the needed environment variables (PYHONPATH,
URE_BOOTSTRAP, etc) and starts the internal Python, like it would be
the case on other operating systems.

If the internal python should be run as-is, i.e. without the
OOo-specific variables, then the user could also run
path/to/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/basis-link/program/OOoPython.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6

>> Anyone a python-guru/deep into Apple's Framework stuff who can tell
>> how to get a "import uno" work on Mac OSX >10.4 from outside OOo?

Reading it again, I wasn't very clear/that statement is very misleading.
What I really meant is: In case we stick with system-python, is there
anyone willing to dig into getting it to run from outisde OOo?
I.e. does anyone know a way on how to use python from outside OOo with
the current version of OOo that uses system python. This is no problem
on 10.4, as that comes with the used 2.3 version, but doesn't work (at
least I couldn't manage) with 10.6

This won't be a problem with internal python.

>> Anyone into python extensions and want to give internal python 2.6.1 a
>> thorough test?
>> Anyone for code-review?
>
> If we decide on a 'yes' for the main question, I can do so.

Thanks a lot,

ciao
Christian