All,

I have BellSouth's DSL and have always done very well with it. It used
to be super fast. Lately, I've been noticing that it's slowing down.
Yesterday, it refused to even open most websites, even my BellSouth
webmail. So I called BellSouth. Luckily, I got a rep who knew what to
do.

He led me through System Preferences to Network. Under Proxies, he then
instructed me to remove the check before Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV).
He said it should only be checked if I use a dial-up system.
Wonder of all wonders, it worked... and today my Safari is again
lightning fast and wonderful. My E-mail has stopped giving me frequent
warnings that I may not be able to receive mail. I am happy.

The only thing that puzzles me is why this seems to have been a
progressive slow-down, rather than an immediate failure. I have never
changed those settings since I have been using Jaguar. (I am on a 15"
flat screen iMac, version 10.2.8, if that matters.)

Mike