Lee, and you all-- thanks for all this insight. I shall need  a life
extension to study all of this, But seriously, is it better to leave
your computer on constantly? I thus far I usually turn mine off at
night, but then, maybe I should only shut it off when thunderstorms
hit, also because you once told us , that in the wee hours of the
night, all  maintenance is being done. I just think that somewhere one
is wearing out the  equipment  through constant usage.
And as to surge protectors. I believe we all could take a lesson in
them, too.  Mine sits there, fat and heavy, and it beeps  when I unplug
it during a storm, yet its actual working power is still a mystery to
me.
Marta