Several responded to my sad tale.   Here?s my lump-sum response to those who
did:

LuANN: the DVD?s I bought at Office Depot were DVD-R.   The guy who copied my
master DVD said they should be DVD+R, which seems to be contradicted by
others on the list   (you,?b3?, Carl, et al).   Maybe it?s a complex question
of
which processor, burner, software, DVD player you use? Or maybe just his
personal preference disguised as expertise?   All I can say is that I burned a
test
on the -R and it played okay on my four-year-old Toshiba.   Also, I can report
that PRINTING labels on the R220 using Epson Print CD is NOT a hassle -- it?s
  DESIGNING the label that?s a hassle.   But there?s hope:   ?b3? led me to
a page on Magicmouse?s website that explains how to print Discus 3 (and
apparently any other label app) on the R220.   I haven?t tried it yet, but the
instructions are detailed and it makes sense.

RICK: Good to know you use Epson Print CD with fine results, but see above; I
find PRINTING printable labels no problem, but designing the label is
s-l-o-w, requires opening several windows to do one operation, and the included
background art is both sparse and ugly.   Try Discus 3 (or 4) and you?ll see
what I
mean.   And at your suggestion,   I?ll use Fujifilm and/or Verbatim discs
(tnx also to Carl).

CARL:   Having just bought Discus 3, I?m not eager to spend more for the
pre-release Discus 4, especially since their website indicates it?s far from
complete.   When it?s ?done,? I?ll pop for it.    I see you agree that the
Epson
Print Software is a hassle.   Worst I?ve ever seen.

?b3?:   Much thanks for leading me to MagicMouse page for printing on Epson.
  I would never have found it otherwise.    For others who may be interested,
it?s

www.magicmouse.com/h_epson_tips.html

Finally, for the price, the Epson R220 is a fabulous printer, both on labels
and regular stock.   Now I?ll shut up.

Nolan