Using Eudora v. 4.x, which I don't remember re-installing, but the
computer crashes e.g. when stuffing a file while copying other files.

My hypothesis: any time two programs access files simultaneously, it
crashes. Crashing when opening e-mails with attachments fits this
(doesn't it?), because the attachment triggers a 2nd program to open
it.