First, you might check the HP Web site for any driver updates. Even
though the printer is new, sometimes it comes with outdated software.

Also, my HP printer acts funny from time to time, and I have to reboot
the computer to get it to work.

Or...you can reinstall the printer software for yourself as the
user...and also reinstall it for your wife as the user...and then
reboot.

Or...you might sign in as Root and install the software on that level.
Here's how to sign in as Root:

Any other suggestions need to come from those far more experienced than
I am....smile.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Jane Blake Acree