On Aug 14, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Green, Cathy wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Since I've maxed out the hard drive of my iMac (G3) desktop running
> Jaguag (10.2.8), I hooked up a new 160 GB external drive.  I
> dragged most of the space-hogging stuff to it, but the problem is:
> occasionally, the icon doesn't appear on the desktop & doing a
> file>find doesn't locate it.  So I have to turn off the external &
> then back on, which usually does the trick; only a handful of times
> have I had to restart the whole thing to get it to appear...This
> makes me a bit nervous, since the only copy of my music files &
> such is on the external drive.  I don't want to back up the files
> to my laptop, as that space is getting limited, etc....Is there
> something I need to set/reset to avoid this from causing future
> concern/potentially more serious issues?
>
> TIA,
> Cathy

Cathy,
I assume this is a USB device?
The next time it does not appear I would first use Apple System
Profiler (in your utilities folder) to check and see if the computer
sees the device. You can see what's attached to your computer there.
If Apple System Profiler (Later just called System Profiler but same
app) sees it, then it sounds like a FInder issue. If Apple System
Profiler does not see it, then it may be a drive issue.
When you start your Mac, it looks over all the busses to see if there
is anything to mount. If an unmount occurs without you doing it, it
may also show up in the system.log. You can open the system.log using
the Console application inside the Utilities folder. The system.log's
path is /var/log/system.log Once you open it, look for the name of
your drive and see what the line says about it.

Happy hunting!

Schoun