From: Ward Oldham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: macgroup at erdos.math.louisville.edu
Sent: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:55:10 -0400
Subject: Re: MacGroup: Alias

   Hi Marta,

Drag copying a file to other drives or partitions automatically makes a
duplicate or copy. (not moving the original)
Holding the option key down while you drag a file will make a copy to
anywhere you designate i.e. another folder on the same drive. (again,
never moving the original)

Copying the "content" of a file will put what you have copied on the
"clipboard".? Example:? You have a file open within a program and you
select something to "copy" so you can move it to another document.
(Edit>Copy)

What you have copied is stored in the "clipboard",? a glorified name
for a portion of RAM where the information is temporarily stored until
you copy something else.? Once you "copy" something, it overwrites the
original. It is held in the clipboard (RAM) until you shut your
computer down, switch user accounts,? or until you copy something
else.? You can "paste" what you have copied as many times as you would
like.

Remember, "Cut, Copy or Paste" applies to the content of a file while
you have that file open.? Copying or duplicating a file in the Finder
is different altogether.

Ward Oldham

 Ward Oldham, MacDude

MacTown