Cathy,
I'm no expert; but I found out I could get past the beach ball of death
to my blue apple logo in my top menu by going into Safari (from the
dock). The pointer then will cross Safari intact, and I can click on
the apple. It will show an option of Force Close, which gives mw a
little screen listing everything open. I then highlight the offending
category, and do Force Close . I don't remember how I found it would
work; it just does (for me, at least). I use an iMac with Panther
running, if that matters.
Mike