I took out the good drive, found a label that illustrated how to set the
jumpers for slave, master, etc., so I changed it to Master.  I reinstalled
it, started up with Disk Warrior and, behold, it came up as a master.  I ran
a diagnostic on it and it was fine.

Now, I still have all of the exact same problems as before.  I reset the
PRAM and NVRAM again per instructions on the Apple support pages.  I
double-checked the Software Install and Tiger disks on another computer to
make sure they were OK (they were).

I took Mike's suggestion and did an option-startup.  A blue screen came up
with a 270-degree arrow in one box on the left and a straight arrow in a box
on the right side.  When I clicked on the left one, it appeared to make the
optical drive run.  The other button did nothing.  Only when I inserted the
DW CD did a disk icon come up (in the middle) and it was called "utility
disk".  Now, I'm thinking, I am stuck with the "expensive option."

I have an external firewire drive that I use for backups.  I can't find a
way to make it a bootable drive without cloning it (and losing my other
data) via SuperDuper!, for example. I looked all over the Apple discussion
boards, versiontracker, etc.

This is a real puzzle.

On 7/12/05 5:15 PM, "macgroup-digest"
<owner-macgroup-digest at erdos.math.louisville.edu> emailed: