Hi Harry and Alex,
i am so glad you are discussing this matter, because I  use the palm
zire 71 and am not sure what i will be in for when i turn to Panther.
At the moment I use palm desktop on my powerbook, because I  like that
you can print whole addresses from the Palm software, not so with Apple
addressbook. There you can only print telephone numbers or e-mail
addresses with the name. That is a flaw of that Apple addressbook and
irritating to me. Neither can you print your calendar in a list form,
which to me is important, because i can go back and trace all appts and
events  etc for the last few years in a printout list. I  had hoped
with Panther it would be different, but apparently it is not..
With my i-Mac  I  sync all the palm data and  Apple addressbook stuff
and iCAl  and through my .mac account  everything to my powerbook and
sync the pictures into my i-photo folders ( zire 71 has that little
camera in it) .
The trouble with i-sync is that it overrides all the palm desktop
except the note pad and the pictures. In order to not have to change
conduits all the time from the abled to the disabled, I chose to
hot-sync palm stuff only on my PB  to  get all the entries that can be
printed in addressbook form, and i-sync everything on my i-Mac which
then shows on my PB too.
If anybody could tell me how to print out address lists from the Apple
stuff, I would not need the  palm addressbook and calendar at all. (
there once was a download where you were to work through text-edit to
print total addresses, but it was not successful, it lost its
formatting.)
  Will Panther tell you what to install for Palm? Or is that a new
download? I, too have too many palm  do-dos and conduits etc floating
around.
Marta