I use Content header filtering in Mail to put all spam in it's place.
When a spammer sends you an email if you preview it. It sends a
ping back to him saying that hey Eric's email address is good and we have a live one. It is put in the good email list. So to lessen your spam load you want to not allow Html emails to
go into your main inbox but into a filtered inbox in Mail.

macosxhints.com - Add an HTML filter to catch more spam in Mail.app

See tis link on how to set it up.