DirecTV's azimuth for Louisville is 206 degrees with an elevation of
43 degrees. You can set up a pretty easy jig to find an ideal spot in
your yard.

My apartment manager said I could install it as long as it wasn't
permanent and no holes were drilled for the cable. I mounted my dish
on a galvanized pipe about 6 feet long that I strapped to my balcony
railing with hose clamps. This also helped with the grounding issue.
Other people I know have done things like bolting it to a wooden box
that they nailed to the balcony floor or setting a pipe in a
five-gallon bucket filled with cement.

I ran the cable behind the porch lamp in the chase with the wiring.
The cable comes out through the light switch. There are also special
connectors available that let you go through patio doors or windows.

In the 12 years I had DirecTV, I only lost the signal about half a
dozen times. Especially after I got the larger dish. And I'm not sure
about a rooftop antenna, but my powered "rabbit ear" antenna loses the
local stations during bad storms also.

Marta, a court-ruling from several years ago says small dishes can't
be banned as long as they're installed on property that is exclusively
used by you. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but the backyard of a
house or the balcony of an apartment qualifies. If your neighbors
complain, you've got the right to look them in the eye and say "I'm
sorry, the US Supreme Court disagrees with you."

My biggest problem was the tree across the street. The first three
years I was shooting over it. Then it grew. Every couple of years I
had to move the satellite pole back a few feet to compensate.

My biggest problem, and the reason I took it down, is that the
programming began to suck so bad I wasn't watching but three or four
channels. And eventually, I was able to find those channels on the
Internet.