Anne,
I have had that same problem, eventually found a solution, but about a year later, it started 'losing' photos again.
I'm trying to re-discover what I did before, but haven't devoted enough time to find it. There are some discussions in the Apple forums.
If I remember correctly, my problem was a directory that needed to be sent to the trash, and then iPhoto rebuilt the directory.
I'll try to find out more by this week-end and share it with you.
Bill