On 2/6/13 2:20 PM, Lee Larson at macgroup-requ...@erdos.math.louisville.edu wrote:

...snip...

S/MIME email certificates

...snip...

Hi Lee! This is excellent advice, which I just followed. It should probably be noted that this process is not entirely transparent to the casual user. There are several steps to make this work:

(1) Go to comodo.com (for example) with your browser and find the free email certificate link, i.e.:

https://secure.comodo.com/products/frontpage?area=SecureEmailCertificate&currency=USD&region=North+America&country=US&entryURL=http%3A//www.comodo.com/

(2) After typing in your info and email address it will auto-generate your digitally-signed email certificate and it will be AUTO-IMPORTED into your browser.

(3) You then need to go into the browser preferences (I was using Firefox), advanced security and find certificates (for you) and export (backup) this certificate (say to your desktop).

(4) You then need to go into your email program (I was using Thunderbird) and IMPORT this certificate file. In Thunderbird's case this was under account settings...security...view (and import) certificates.

(5) Don't forget to then SELECT that certificate for that account and check the (Digitally Sign all emails) checkbox.

(6) If you then send a test email to yourself you should see the a "digitally signed envelope icon" or somesuch at the top of your email.

I hope this helps! Lee might be able to explain this in better detail at some point in the future!

- Ken Presley