On May 20, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Bill Holt <billh...@iglou.com> wrote:

> Yes.  In addition to that, I have things activate, without me having the
> desire for them to do so, frequently.  Especially annoying is when the thing
> that holds your widgets - I forget the name - decides to make an appearance.
> Overall, I'd say that 10.8 is the glitchiest system I've experienced since
> system 4.  If it were ten thousand times worse I'd suspect it was  disguised
> beta for Windows 9.

Maybe you should check your Mission Control preferences. Make sure "Show
Dashboard as a space" is not checked and see if Launchpad is set on a hot
corner you might often be visiting.

Alternatives to Finder such as Forklift, TotalFinder, TotalSpaces and Path
Finder change the normal launching behavior. Are any of those installed?

PS/ I've been using Finder replacements for a while now. I use Path Finder at
home and on my laptop. In my office, I’m trying out the combination of Forklift
and Total Finder. I think I'll soon be using Path Finder everywhere before long.