On Oct 25, 2015, at 6:58 PM, John Robinson <profilecoven...@me.com> wrote:

> I have always been afraid I would lose my key or logon info…then I am in deep
> trouble…if I get the nerve will turning FileVault on encrypt all 4 of the
> drives on my MacPro?  If the data is encrypted will it have to be unencrypted
> to be used, (done on the fly?) and can I put the encrypted file in my iCloud
> drive and DropBox and then when moved to another machine the files can be
> used?

If you forget your account password, you can get into your stuff with your
iCloud password or your recovery key, if you set one.

It’s pretty easy to add FileVault to your external drives. Just control-click
them and choose to encrypt them from the popup menu. After the drive's
encrypted, you can add the drive’s password to your keychain to make the
mounting automatic.

Since Dropbox and iCloud are programs running on your Mac, they see the data as
unencrypted and store the unencrypted version in the cloud. Of course, the
cloud images are encrypted by Dropbox and iCloud themselves, so the security is
still protected just as it is now. Basically, the files on the cloud behave as
they would without FileVault.