Anna, don’t have a clue but found this:

John

What is s3.amazonaws.com, and why is Chrome blocking it?
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it>

up vote
 <>4
down vote
 <>favorite

<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#>1
Lately, whenever I click on a download link in Google Chrome, it redirects to
another link starting with s3.amazonaws.com, which in turn gets blocked either
by Chrome or by my Antivirus (Comodo Internet Security). Copying the same link
into Firefox or(*) a download manager downloads the file normally.

I have tried resetting Chrome settings, disconnecting my Google account,
removing all extensions, disabling all plugins, and performing a system scan,
but the issue persists.

My question is: What exactly is s3.amazonaws.com? Is it malicious, or is Chrome
mistrusting it? And how do I fix the issue?

Edit:

An example file that invokes such behavior is Pandoc msi setup from this page
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases>
(*) It no longer works with Firefox

web-service <http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/web-service>
chrome <http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/chrome>
share <http://security.stackexchange.com/q/85264>improve this question
<http://security.stackexchange.com/posts/85264/edit>
edited Apr 5 '15 at 1:16
<http://security.stackexchange.com/posts/85264/revisions>
asked Apr 5 '15 at 0:17
 <http://security.stackexchange.com/users/51694/timmy>Timmy
<http://security.stackexchange.com/users/51694/timmy>
125117

@thexacre clicking the link you posted leads me directly to this one:
s3.amazonaws.com/github-cloud/releases/571770/…
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/github-cloud/releases/571770/ee4e642e-87e0-11e4-864a-9f8485371008.msi?response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dpandoc-1.13.2-windows.msi&response-content-type=application/octet-stream&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ&Expires=1428195561&Signature=67TuZKsrJ4kw3V7xDFxkhtW7KZw%3D>
 which is blocked by my browser – Timmy
<http://security.stackexchange.com/users/51694/timmy> Apr 5 '15 at 0:58
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#comment141681_85264>

1
My mistake, you're right. The link is on a GitHub domain but it 302 redirects
to an S3 domain. You might want to a. post this on the Pandoc issue tracker
github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues> and b. ask
for a checksum of the packages so you can confirm the ones you downloaded
haven't been tampered with. – thexacre
<http://security.stackexchange.com/users/45850/thexacre> Apr 5 '15 at 1:01
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#comment141682_85264>

For me the md5sum of pandoc-1.13.2-windows.msi is
d368d072a2b84c72f1ed863db96d7826. I didn't have any trouble downloading it but
I'm on Ubuntu and I don't have Comodo. – thexacre
<http://security.stackexchange.com/users/45850/thexacre> Apr 5 '15 at 1:03
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#comment141683_85264>
1
It looks like you used 1.13.1 but mine was for 1.13.2. I downloaded 1.13.1 and
got f40cb166d8f915afa9df978c014cc94d the same as you. – thexacre
<http://security.stackexchange.com/users/45850/thexacre> Apr 5 '15 at 1:23
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#comment141686_85264>
1
It might just be a false positive, but I'd encourage you to raise this issue on
their issue tracker just in case. I myself have been involved with a fairly
large open source project who were the the victim of targeted attacks to both
compromise our GitHub accounts and tamper with our download packages. It can
happen. –thexacre <http://security.stackexchange.com/users/45850/thexacre>Apr 5
'15 at 1:31
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85264/what-is-s3-amazonaws-com-and-why-is-chrome-blocking-it#comment141689_85264>