Something (remotely) similar happened to me, although I can’t explain the
growing/expanding lists that you get.

I would delete cookies, and moments later they would return, also reflecting
sites I hadn’t visited.  It turns out that my dedicated HD had developed (too
many) bad sectors.  After the drive was replaced, the problem no longer
happened.

-russ preston