> Are any of the various tools worthwhile?

I use CylanceProtect; it claims to detect 99% of malware, as opposed to the
typical maybe 40%.  You can get it from
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.malwaremanaged.com&d=DwIFAg&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=F2GFXrjLFqVo3VwvIlo_XYeEiRRjHv15rxcenz7A21woG2aFGcrzndoSsskxfmOs&m=jONf5gBlaXqH8h5lkASgRA6bMRqkJVTQdAzzviOJUnw&s=_aMVadLE9oI7MEPyi9ZM-RA0DXd1P3U4yFu7quUECAw&e=

I also use ClamXav, a more traditional program which scans your disk for virus
signatures.  It often finds something in my email, but it can't give you any
helpful information, like, "affects Windows machines."