Hi all,

In the past, I've used partitions on a single big drive [1] to allow backing up
multiple computers using Time Machine. So... imagine using a 3TB drive to back
up three different computers. The great Pondini time machine pages [2] state
that it is best to partition a drive when using it for multiple time machines.

Enter APFS, with its concept of containers and volumes which can share space.
This seems to imply I could reformat my 3TB disk as a big APFS container with 3
volumes (instead of partitions). The volumes would look like separate drives
(similar to partitions).

So: would it be smart for me to reformat my 3TB drive as an APFS container and
then use APFS volumes instead? It would get away from the fixed reserved spaces
of partitions. It (perhaps) would make Time Machine happy about backing up to a
networked drive [3].

To make this even more confusing, Apple has two High Sierra support pages which
seem contradictory. One page says that you can share folders as a destination
for Time Machine backups, but only if the folders are on an APFS volume [4].
Another page says that Time machine CANNOT back up to an APFS-formatted disk
[5]. Of course a folder is not the same as a disk, but a volume _looks_ like a
disk, so I'm guessing that I couldn't/shouldn't use volumes within a single
APFS container for backups. (Or, does creating a single folder sitting inside
each volume suddenly make APFS OK? [6])

Pondini did not live to witness APFS, so his otherwise fine advice is silent on
this topic.

I have not experimented with this yet, because it would involve wiping out the
Time Machine backups which are up-to-date for one computer.

Any help unraveling this would be appreciated.

Bill
[1] A relative term, so what I think is big now will be puny in the future (or
even now).

[2]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.baligu.com_pondini_TM_4.html&d=DwIFAg&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=F2GFXrjLFqVo3VwvIlo_XYeEiRRjHv15rxcenz7A21woG2aFGcrzndoSsskxfmOs&m=GJtTCYwL3sogEOkyMO7tZmB9HngyxdLasmptufZVZZ4&s=3T94EwzDE94TaXnoxYZor5s0EGi2W4cuweEB4wZNPD4&e=
  (not at pondini.org anymore because Pondini himself passed away).

[3] As soon as I upgraded to High Sierra, my current setup of using Time
Machine up over wifi to a drive shared from my mac mini failed. This is the
reason for revisiting this topic again. New Apple slogan: "It just works. Some
limitations may apply."

[4]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.apple.com_guide_mac-2Dhelp_use-2Da-2Dshared-2Dfolder-2Dwith-2Dtime-2Dmachine-2Dmchl31533145_mac&d=DwIFAg&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=F2GFXrjLFqVo3VwvIlo_XYeEiRRjHv15rxcenz7A21woG2aFGcrzndoSsskxfmOs&m=GJtTCYwL3sogEOkyMO7tZmB9HngyxdLasmptufZVZZ4&s=XCLtjMPazQBfeCotsH1Dv5y3gRjPDCoDeRtlfzAAywg&e=

[5]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.apple.com_guide_mac-2Dhelp_disks-2Dyou-2Dcan-2Duse-2Dwith-2Dtime-2Dmachine-2Dmh15139_mac&d=DwIFAg&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=F2GFXrjLFqVo3VwvIlo_XYeEiRRjHv15rxcenz7A21woG2aFGcrzndoSsskxfmOs&m=GJtTCYwL3sogEOkyMO7tZmB9HngyxdLasmptufZVZZ4&s=mLj-md6gFaAl07eBlxnOFijPpy0mX-UaOVDH4q7xB5Y&e=

[6] The crux of the problem is that Time Machine uses hard links to do its
magic. APFS, however, does not support hard links for folders---search for
'hard link' here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__developer.apple.com_library_content_documentation_FileManagement_Conceptual_APFS-5FGuide_FAQ_FAQ.html-23__apple-5Fref_doc_uid_TP40016999-2DCH6-2DDontLinkElementID-5F17&d=DwIFAg&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=F2GFXrjLFqVo3VwvIlo_XYeEiRRjHv15rxcenz7A21woG2aFGcrzndoSsskxfmOs&m=GJtTCYwL3sogEOkyMO7tZmB9HngyxdLasmptufZVZZ4&s=EoqUwXDUP0Cvo4eiqYeaCfOKLJNC54bhxF-st11BsUA&e=