On May 7, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Bill Rising <bris...@mac.com
<mailto:bris...@mac.com>> wrote:

> This must be the reason that Time Machine has often told me that it found
> problems and I would have to start from scratch.

Who knows? I use it, but the belt and suspenders approach always seemed prudent.

> I, too, have never really liked Time Machine (too unreliable), but I never
> had a reason other than anecdotal experience.

When I first started reading about Time Machine, it was pretty clear they were
building their own version of rsync. Have you tried rsync? All you’d need is a
Linux machine (Raspberry Pi?) or a NAS of some sort out on the network.

The problem with rsync is that it’s a command line program. I got around that
by writing shell scripts to do the incremental backups and scheduling them with
LaunchD. Not hard, but impossible for those allergic to the command line. Since
you don’t have that phobia, you might want to look into this.

There are a bunch of gui rsync front ends in the App Store. I’ve not tried any
of them.

L^2

---
‌Lee Larson‌
‌leelar...@me.com <mailto:leelar...@me.com>‌

‌Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying. ‌— Arthur C. Clarke
‌The Making of Kubrick’s 2001‌

‌‌‌