On 11/22/2016 6:16 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 11/22/2016 01:28 PM, Daren Schwenke wrote:
>> I believe he means you can't charge the tablet while using the OTG cable,
>> and without some hacking, he's right.
>> You can do the same thing with 'reverse tethering' through the normal USB
>> interface/cable though.
>> Never got far enough to make it work, but it looked like it would.  Ir's on
>> my list.  :)
>
> I'm pretty sure many devices support charging and using USB-OTG at the
> same time. You can buy a Y cable that has a male micro plug, a female
> micro plug for hooking up the charge, and then the female USB-B plug for
> attaching a USB device.  Guess it must depend on the device.  I have a Y
> cable ordered; I'll see if it works with my particular tablet. I really
> hope it does because in my particular case (nothing to do with
> MachineKit at all), a little USB hub plugged into OTG is really what I need.

The tablet I'm using has a separate barrel jack for charging, which is
probably why it charges and works fine while operating in USB host
mode with the OTG cable.  I hadn't thought about the tablets that only
have one USB port for communication _and_ charging.  I guess sometimes
it pays to be cheap!  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net