Hi,
  The eQEP encoder is currently broken for me, it certainly used to work but
now it is very erratic, I’ve just changed over to using the hal_pru_generic
encoder which luckily can be made to work using the same physical pins as eQEP0
and it seems to have solved my issues.

I do intend to track down the issue in the eQEP driver but in the mean time
this may be a quick fix for you, this is a snippet from my hal file.

setp hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.A-pin 4
setp hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.B-pin 5
setp hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.index-pin 6
setp hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.scale 4096
setp hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.counter-mode 0

net spindle-position hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.position => motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-velocity hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.velocity => motion.spindle-speed-in
net spindle-index-enable hpg.encoder.00.chan.00.index-enable <=>
motion.spindle-index-enable

you need to add a num_encoders=1 when loading the pru driver and set the pins
to pruin using config-pin, this is the relevent section in my setup shell script

config-pin p9.27 pruin
config-pin p9.42 in
config-pin p9.41 in
config-pin p9.91 pruin