Hi,
  I’m using Machinekit on a BBB to drive my small lathe, i’ve got everything
working pretty well now, but I would like to improve the homing accuracy.

I’m using micro switches but I can only home to within about 0.2mm, this isn’t
normally a problem as I just put a piece of scrap in the chuck take a cut and
then measure it. but sometimes It would be nice if I could turn the lathe off
mid session and resume at a later date without removing the stock form the
chuck.

I noticed that there is an option to home using encoder index signals so I
ordered a couple of quadrature encoders, but having read some more, i’m now not
sure if that is actually possible on a stepper system, also I don’t have enough
suitable IO pins to connect the encoders to either the pru or the eQEP
counters, I could rearrange my wiring to free up 4 pins to run the two encoders
in counter mode.

Do people manage to get better homing accuracy/repeatability?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
  Russell