> On 21 Sep 2017, at 07:57, John Morris <j...@zultron.com> wrote:
>

>> On 09/20/2017 11:00 PM, Rob M wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:11:08 AM UTC+10, Bas de Bruijn wrote:
>>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I was wondering if I have the following thinking correct regarding
>>    connecting 2 machines.
>>
>>    I’m only interested in pin fiddling for now, so for example machine
>>    has an input connected to a remote component, so pushing the switch
>>    will raise the remote pin (like a LED on a QtQuickVCP remote UI)
>>
>>    Now I would like to connect the hal logic of a second machine (2) to
>>    the remote component of the first machine (1) with as little code as
>>    possible. No (remote) UI’s necessary whatsoever.
>>
>>    What is the “best” solution (if “best” exists) for this? Load a
>>    python script (loadusr) on machine 2 which listens to (define the IP
>>    address etc etc) the remote component of machine 1, and acts on
>>    changing values. Like some sort of bridge…
>>
>>    Is there a way to “configure” hal (give an ip/remote name) during
>>    startup so that remote components listen to other remote components
>>    on other machines?
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>    Bas
>>
>> Hi Bas,
>>
>> Just throwing an idea around.
>> I suppose you could use the mb2hal hal component on one machine and whip
>> up a python (python confuses me...but rumor has it is easy to do stuff)
>> script to act as "the other end". If the machines are close enough and
>> you have enough physical pins you can just "run a wire" between the two.
>> Tho the method you chose would have to take into account timing
>> requirements.
>> I've had a bit of a play around with mb2hal connecting to an Arduino via
>> modbus tcp (not the way you wanna go) and can confirm it's an easy thing
>> to setup.
>>
>> Maybe this might be a library you could use.
>> http://pythonhosted.org/pyModbusTCP/index.html
>>

> Another idea, HALTalk and remote components?
>
>    John

Hi John,
Yes, that's the idea. I know how to implement remote components. So i'd like to
use the same mechanism, machinetalk. But afaik you need a second application
connecting to a remote Machinekit machine.

Thinking aloud if this needs to be a client (on second machine, started with
loadusr) listening to the first machine, putting values into the second machine
HAL.

Or if there is another (ready to use) machinetalk mechanism.