There are many capes.  Please denote which one you are having an issue with.
Simplest way to solve this yourself is determine which pins are used
on-board (hdmi, wireless, etc), and then cross those to which pins are used
for your cape.
If any of the logic pins overlap, you will loose that functionality as you
will have to disable one of the devices, or in the best case if one of the
overlapping pins are not required, just that one pin.

The leadshine stepper driver
<http://www.leadshine.com/productdetail.aspx?type=products&category=stepper-products&producttype=stepper-drives&series=DM&model=DM556>

requires 7-16mA to drive it.  The Beaglebone should not be asked to drive
pins above 4mA.
You will need a cape or at the very least a logic level converter chip to
drive that reliably.