On 2/15/2018 1:37 AM, Filip Kotouček wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to ask if there is possibility to build Machinekit to other
> Linux distribution than Debian. To be specific we have platform based on
> (am335x) Beaglebone. I'm currently using official TI kernel 4.9.59 Arago.
> There is no packaging system and because of Buildroot I don't have native
> toolchain in the target.
>
> The ideal scenario will be to build the Machine kit by cross-compilation
> and just paste some files into filesystem.
>
> Does anybody have some advice how to accomplish this? Or should I switch to
> Debian? My main reason to use Arago and buildroot is that I need to keep
> the system as small and fast as possible. Stock Debian for BBB boots about
> 40 seconds and it is not acceptable for our application.

Machinekit should cross-compile without too much trouble as long as it
is in an appropriate environment (using a cross-compiler tool chain
and the appropriate libraries for the target system).  Your biggest
issue will probably be in pulling in all the dependencies for the
complete Machinekit stack (there are a lot of them).  If you only need
the real-time HAL layer, that's in the process of being split from the
CNC stack and should be much easier to build.

If you make any progress, please share the details.  It would be good
to be able to build Machinekit for a buildroot and/or Yocto based
embedded system.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net