On 28/02/18 12:11, Richard Thornton wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for all the help.

So I have the DE0-Nano-SoC, G540 and steppers are there instructions on how to install machinekit on the SoC and mesa on the FPGA?

Use the existing image and change the firmware config in the .ini file to the firmware Charles has provided for the 540

I put a snippet of my ini file here which shows that line.

Easiest to adapt the 5i25-socfpga.ini etc to start with, get a sim working to show the module and the firmware is loading is loaded OK and then progress to a real config

If you are not familiar with Mesa 5i25 pin outs, it will take a while, and as Charles alluded to, the pin designations from GPIO
out to DB25 pins take a bit of getting your head around

I made the attached image when I used  one without a 7i76, to connect to a stepper powered small mill using normal stepper drivers
Just the P3 output pinout, but when you match it to the diagrams Charles linked to you will begin to see the light.
(It is already in the forum posts if you search DE0-NANO, as with lots of other info, some out of date however - beware)

I should be able to wire it all up OK, I'm basically going to start by getting one stepper moving as instructed, I'm calling this phase 1.

So it will be DE0-Nano-SoC connected to G540 connected to a stepper.

I will just install Cetus on Android.

Am I taking the path of least resistance?

If you are a masochist. :-P

Just connect it via a cat5 cable to your router and `ssh -X` into it to start with, you can struggle with remote apps as a second issue once you have it running.

Any documents, tips or tricks that will help me?

There are several blogs on the DE0 starting here
http://blog.machinekit.io/2016/04/altera-soc-running-machinekit-with.html

My computer skills are great so as long as I have instructions I will be fine with that.

I know very little about CAD/CAM or emc2/linuxcnc/machinekit.

Thanks again.

Richard

--
website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit