On 3/28/2018 3:24 PM, Seb hl wrote:
> Hi,
> I've recently downloaded the Stretch Machinekit image for the Beaglebone
> (weekly build 05.03.2018, 4.14.20-ti-rt-r36). Now I did an apt udate +
> upgrade and my hal-standalone config using the python hal modul no longer
> starts.
>
> $ export Debug=5
> $ python hal_test.py
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "printjob_hal.py", line 305, in <module>
>     init_hardware()
>   File "printjob_hal.py", line 211, in init_hardware
>     rt.loadrt('hal_pru_generic', pru=1, disabled=0, num_stepgens=3,
> num_pwmgens=6, prucode=prubin, halname='hpg1', pru_period=1000)
>   File "hal/cython/machinekit/rtapi.pyx", line 219, in
> machinekit.rtapi.RTAPIcommand.loadrt (hal/cython/machinekit/rtapi.c:5233)
> RuntimeError: rtapi_loadrt '('hal_pru_generic', 'disabled=0',
> 'pru_period=1000', 'num_stepgens=3', 'pru=1', 'halname=hpg1',
> 'prucode=/usr/lib/linuxcnc/prubin/pru_generic.bin', 'num_pwmgens=6')'
> failed: Operation not permitted

IIRC, the "Operation not permitted" error when loading the PRU driver
usually means the UIO PRU driver is not available (there are two
drivers available, UIO and remote-proc).

It doesn't look like your kernel was upgraded, but a change to your
uEnv.txt or something else may have disabled the PRU or switched from
the UIO driver to the remote-proc driver.  If the UIO PRU driver is
properly loaded, there should be eight UIO devices, each named pruss_evt*:

machinekit@beaglebone:~$ cat /sys/class/uio/uio*/name
pruss_evt0
pruss_evt1
pruss_evt2